Scion Staffing, Inc. (www.scionstaffing.com), a full service national staffing firm, has been engaged to conduct a search for a Housing Navigation Specialist (contract) for our client, a leading nonprofit in San Francisco, CA.
The Housing Services Program helps prevent families from becoming homeless and helps those experiencing homelessness move as quickly as possible into permanent housing. The program assists families to secure permanent housing through housing search assistance, move-in financial assistance, homelessness prevention, rent subsidies, and home-based case management. This role is currently slated to be a 3-month contract opportunity.
As a Housing Navigation Specialist, you will work with families to help them find and move into market-rate housing. You will be an advocate and matchmaker, supporting families as they find housing that meets their needs. You will collaborate with colleagues to search for potential units with the family, reaching out to landlords and accompanying families to view potential units. In addition, you will: provide coaching for these families about how to be successful in housing search and tenancy; assist families in addressing their housing barriers and; offer referrals to resources such as financial coaching and employment opportunities in their new community. Lastly, you will be responsible for making sure all data about the family and their activities and additional files are accurate, complete and up-to-date in the internal database.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide housing navigation services to a caseload of approximately 15-20 families.
- Work with participants to assess their housing needs, including housing preferences and any rental barriers they have (e.g., employment, credit history, behavioral health, rental history). Help participants to develop strategies to overcome barriers to housing.
- Build trusting relationships with participants and coach them on housing search processes, including topics such as rental search, housing applications, unit viewings, move-in procedures, utilities set-up, maintaining positive property owner relations, and applying to permanent affordable housing.
- Communicate with participants regularly, in person and over the phone, to support them in their independent housing search, and to alert them to units that Hamilton Families finds that may suit their needs.
- Assist participants in viewing potential units, including offering driving support.
- Coordinate with colleagues on the property owner liaison team to initiate and maintain positive relationships with property owners and property management companies interested in renting to participants in the program.
- Help participants move into housing; work with colleagues to provide funds for move-in costs, support participants to understand and sign the lease agreement, and inspect the unit to ensure it will be safe and comfortable for the family.
- Maintain precise and accurate documentation of case management services, updating participant files and entries into Salesforce database; maintain participant confidentiality and HIPAA requirements.
- Provide weekly updates to referring and/or shelter case managers and participate in case conferencing with other social service providers as needed.
Qualifications, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in social work, psychology, or related field and a minimum of two years of experience providing support services to families and/or individuals in a human services setting
- Experience working with extremely low income families, youth, survivors of domestic violence, populations impacted by substance abuse, mental illness, and HIV/AIDS and other diverse communities; documenting participant services in paper files and online databases; and conducting outreach and presentations.
- Excellent organizational skills and able to self-motivate; able to work under pressure, address multiple priorities and meet deadlines with a positive attitude and problem-solving approach.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel, etc.). Experience using Salesforce.com databases a plus;
- Familiarity with and commitment to principles and practices of housing first, participant-centered care, harm reduction, and safeguarding participant confidentiality.
- Knowledge of community resources for families with very low incomes in the Bay Area, and knowledge and experience with housing laws a plus.
- Bilingual proficiency preferred but not required.
- Essential functions of the position may require use of a telephone, working at a standard computer terminal, and the ability to follow reasonable ergonomic recommendations, sit for long periods, stand, reach, bend, lift, and carry up to 40 pounds, and driving.
- Criminal background check, fingerprint imaging, and tuberculosis (TB) clearance required post-offer.
- Valid CADL and DMV report; able and willing to travel locally as needed required.
For immediate consideration, please submit your resume as a Word document (.doc or .docx) including compensation requirements via email to Devin at Dnparse@scionstaffing.com with the subject line: “Housing Navigation Specialist”. We look forward to reaching out to potential-match applicants.
ABOUT OUR SEARCH FIRM:
Scion Staffing is an award winning staffing firm headquartered in San Francisco, CA. Over the past few years, our firm has had the pleasure of successfully assisting hundreds of local employers. No matter the requisition or size, our track record and recruitment prowess has made us one of the top recruitment firms in California. Additional information about our firm and success can also be found online at www.scionstaffing.com or in the 2010-2020 Business Times list of top staffing firms.
Scion Staffing is an equal opportunity employer and service provider and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, citizenship status, sexual orientation, disability, political affiliation or belief. We are committed to the principals of Equal Opportunity Employment and are dedicated to making employment decisions based on merit and value, for ourselves, our client companies, and for the candidates we represent.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applications with arrest and conviction records.