Scion Executive Search (www.scionexecutivesearch.com) is excited to announce we have been exclusively retained to begin an immediate search for a Chief Development Officer on behalf of our client, Hire Heroes USA; a rapidly growing, philanthropic organization with a relentless focus and passion for empowering U.S. military members, veterans and spouses to succeed and flourish in the civilian workforce.
About Hire Heroes USA:
Headquartered in Alpharetta, Georgia, Hire Heroes USA has built a national reputation of excellence for empowering U.S. military members, veterans, and military spouses to succeed in the civilian workforce. As the nation’s leading veteran employment organization, Hire Heroes USA offers personalized one-on-one coaching, professionally revised resumes, mentoring, workshops, a job board, career fairs and more, to tens of thousands of job-seeking veterans annually. Hire Heroes USA prioritizes transparency, earning a 4-star rating from Charity Navigator and the GuideStar Platinum Seal. Funded exclusively through public donations and private grants, we provide our services at no cost to clients.
Hire Heroes USA empowers US military members, veterans and spouses to succeed in the civilian workforce. As a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization, Hire Heroes' services are provided at no cost to the client.
Be the Nation’s preferred veteran employment service organization through a relentless focus on personalized career coaching that improves clients’ quality of life and strengthens the US economy.
Integrity, Passion, Effectiveness, and Collaboration
Reporting to the CEO, the Chief Development Officer (CDO) will lead the charge for the organization in the strategic areas of revenue generation and marketing. The CDO will spearhead three integral departments: Development, Employment Partnerships & Opportunities, and Marketing & Communications. The ideal candidate will have experience in earned income revenue, foundation and grant revenue, individual giving, and major gift cultivation.
The CDO will work closely with Hire Heroes USA leaders, staff, board members, and local advocates. The CDO will lead multiple departments to secure revenue for the organization by managing the cultivation of relationships with donors, grantors, and partners, and increasing brand awareness. The CDO will develop strategies in the areas of donor development, marketing, advertising, and public relations to advance the Hire Heroes USA mission and brand, ensuring the successful implementation of these strategies organization wide.
- Utilizing a comprehensive understanding of the mission and priorities of Hire Heroes, constructs a persuasive verbal and written case for supporting vital programs and projects, effectively matching the interests of prospects to specific organizational needs.
- Work with the leaders and staff across Hire Heroes to develop funding opportunities, engage in relationship-building activities with clients/alumni, existing supporters, volunteers, and prospects.
- Collaborating with the Director of Employment Partnerships and Opportunities, leads the vision for and spearheads the growth of the Hire Heroes Earned Revenue program offerings and opportunities, including but not limited to: Job board, Employment Partner talent acquisition, and Corporate Training related activities.
- Develop additional development opportunities as appropriate that support the Hire Heroes USA mission and brand placement, including Planned Giving, Trusts and Estate Giving, and Cause Marketing.
Major Gifts Management:
- Coordinates with their team to cultivate and solicit major gifts from a portfolio of prospects and donors with a propensity to give $25,000+ annually, as well as planned or legacy gifts. Relationship-building is expected and face-to-face proposals when the climate allows for such meetings.
- Create individual goals for each person within the list based on the donor's history of giving and the organization's knowledge of that donor's potential.
- Collaborate with Hire Heroes program leaders to secure appropriate project information, including budgets, and create offers, proposals and asks that will be used with persons on the prospect list to obtain gifts.
- Works with department leaders to create and execute a plan for each prospect that will serve as a foundational communication and marketing strategy.
- Individual Donation Management:
- Leads team on charge to increase individual giving donors and oversees moves between individual donors and major supporters.
- Work across departments and programs to develop engagement and recognition opportunities for donors; to include development of a “Hire Heroes Member Circle” or similar, to elevate the importance and exclusivity of supporting the organization’s mission as an individual supporter.
Marketing & Communications:
- Oversee the planning, development, and execution of the organization’s marketing, communications, and advertising initiatives.
- Collaborates with Director, Marketing and Communications to create and present the company's strategy to position the Hire Heroes USA brand for growth.
- Ensures the development of robust marketing capabilities (technology fluency, digital expertise, client/partner data and insights, data analytics) to help the organization compete in the marketplace.
- Manages the brand through the determination and implementation of key performance indicators. (KPIs)
- Ensures the organization’s message is distributed across channels and to targeted audiences to meet KPIs
- Track Marketing & Communications department KPIs and report back to executive leadership and board of directors regularly. Suggest changes and improvements as needed.
- Liaise with departments to guide a unified approach to the Hire Heroes vision and mission.
- Develop and oversee the Marketing & Communications annual budget in accordance with organizational goals.
- Manages the workflow, professional development, and performance evaluations of the Development, Employment Partnerships and Opportunities, and Marketing and Communications directorate; Promotes a culture of high performance and continuous improvement; manages internal workflow for team members
- Master optimal utilization of Salesforce contact tracking resources to gather, record, and adequately store information about prospects and donors.
- Create regular reports as required by leadership and the board that accurately reflect caseload activity and performance.
- Continuously improve skills and knowledge, including participation in appropriate professional organizations and professional development opportunities.
- Assures development and maintenance of appropriate systems to fund development including but not limited to donor management, research and cultivation, gift processing and recognition. Maintains accountability and compliance standards for donors and funding sources.
- Perform other activities as may be required.
- Bachelor's degree required. Master’s degree in a related field is preferred.
- Minimum of seven years of successful experience in revenue development, fundraising, and brand management which include major gift experience, possibly in higher education or other nonprofit related fields, with an understanding of major gift planning and prospect development.
- Experience with Individual giving, Major gifts, Planned Giving, and Earned Revenue programs are required.
- Ability to gather, analyze, and interpret data and market research to develop efficient strategies and business plans for marketing and development aspects
- Ability to interact with high-level supporters ensuring they have a positive experience with Hire Heroes USA while maintaining a high level of discretion and confidentiality
- Have a proven track record of successfully soliciting and securing major personal gifts and managing a company brand
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, as well as a high level of sophistication and maturity in social and professional settings
- Ability to be an effective advocate for Hire Heroes, actively listen, work collaboratively with colleagues in a team environment, and be proactive
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with donor management/CRM (Salesforce preferred)
- Demonstrated experience and understanding of working with individuals of diverse socioeconomic, cultural, racial, and ethnic backgrounds
- CFRE Certified Fund Raising Professional or similar certification highly desired
Compensation & Benefits:
This exciting opportunity offers the ability to transform the lives of people around the globe! Starting compensation package includes a competitive salary dependent on experience, plus an extremely robust benefits that are comprised of medical, dental, and vision insurance, PTO, paid holidays, and much more.
Applications and Nominations:
Review of applications, nominations, and expressions of interest will begin immediately and continue a confidential basis until an appointment is made. Nominations, applications, and inquiries should be sent in confidence to:
Krista Sietsema, Senior Recruiter
Scion Executive Search
For immediate consideration please apply with your resume and cover letter:
About Our Firm:
Scion Executive Search is a retained executive search firm connecting executive-nonprofit leadership to nonprofit organizations and foundations across the country. Born out of the nonprofit sector, we provide expert search strategies and leadership to benefit your organization. Our executive candidates are true agents for change, and we are experts at matching their talents, motivations, and passions to your organization’s mission! Scion Executive Search has led hundreds of successful executive searches; information on our firm is available online for review via https://www.scionexecutivesearch.com.
Scion is an equal opportunity employer and service provider committed to not discriminate based on age, race, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, citizenship status, sexual orientation, disability, political affiliation or belief, or any other protected class. We are committed to the principles of Equal Opportunity Employment and dedicated to making employment decisions based on merit and value for ourselves, our client companies, and the candidates we represent.